Thursday, April 16, 2009

Hearty Bean and Pasta Soup

This is from my "Cooking for Less: Pasta" cookbook. It happens to have many non-meat recipes, probably since it's geared towards recipes that cost less. The meatless recipes naturally attracted me. Mary liked the cookbook too, and bought the same one a few weeks ago while in Toledo. :) Do you mind me talking about your goings-on in my blog, Mare?

Next time I will double the beans (I love beans) and double the balsamic vinegar. Love that stuff too, and this recipe was an excuse to buy a bottle. That was partly why I chose it!

Less spinach would be fine too. I used only a 10 oz bag, not a pound, and it was plenty. Maybe Popeye wouldn't agree.

I had never bought marinara sauce before. Asked Mary about it and she mentioned the brand Newman's Own. That is what I ended up picking up, since it was right in front of me and I had no opinion/favorite. I got Newman's Own Cabernet Marinara and the slight wine flavor seemed to work out great! I loved this soup.

PS -- I still plan to get my mitts on a digital camera soon so pics can be included with these postings!

1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups water
2 cans, about 14 oz each, chicken broth
1 jar, 26 oz, marinara sauce
1 can (about 15 oz) Great Northern or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 lb spinach, stemmed and chopped (see note above about using less)
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional

1. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes or until onion is tender.

3. Stir in water, broth, marinara sauce and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach, vinegar, and pasta; cook 5 minutes.

4. Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with cheese, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment